Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The risks of woodturning. A faceshield is standard safety equipment for a woodturner. However I have a bad habit of not allowing sufficient time for superglue to set up before I turn on my lathe. Thus, my faceshield is spattered with glue spots that lower my visibility. Yesterday I was turning some lidded boxes. Since they were small, I decided the risk was low, so I was not wearing my face shield. All was well until I was parting off the lid, and without warning, the box flew out of the chuck, past my left ear. It all happened too fast to react. All I could do was stand there and reflect on what would have happened if it had hit my face.

The box was not damaged. I only made it a bit shorter because of the damage to the lid.

Today I'll be buying a new faceshield.

No comments:

Post a Comment